Monday, March 24, 2008

Sea of Galilee and Capernaum

Today has been a wonderful day! We began bright and early, as we usually do. We rode in the bus to a place where we would be taking a boat ride across the Sea of Galilee. (Left - reading the story of Jesus' walking on water and the storm while in a boat on the Sea of Galilee). Several people had to run to catch the bus. It was a beautiful day for a boat ride. We rode out into the middle of the sea where we all walked on water. Just kidding, we talked about when Jesus walked on water and about how Peter got out of the boat and also walked on water. We also talked about the time that the Savior was asleep on a boat while a storm raged. It was so amazing to be talking about those stories while sitting in a boat on the Sea of Galilee.
After our ride across the Sea, we walked to a place nearby called Nof Ginnosaur. (Right - the weather was so beautiful! The view from the boat was great, too). There is an ancient boat from around the time of Christ. It was really interesting to see that. Then we drove to the Mount of Beatitudes. The Mount of Beatitudes is thought to be the place where the Sermon on the Mount was given. It was beautiful. The Italians under direction of Musalini in the 1930s built a chapel and an abbey on top of the mount. We had a lesson there on the Sermon on the Mount and then were able to walk around. There were a couple of groups of pilgrims. One group was from Nigeria. It was funny because they all wanted to take pictures with us. (Left - Musalinni's chapel on the Mount of Beatitudes). I’m not exactly sure why they chose us because there were plenty of white people around. A miracle happened while we were there. My screen which hasn’t lit up since I went to Micah’s cave (can you believe that all the pictures I’ve taken since have been without being able to see what I was aiming at?) lit up! I was taking a picture of something and suddenly realized that I could see what I was aiming at! It was amazing. I kept thinking that it would be temporary, but so far it has stayed on. I sure hope and pray that it stays that way!
Our next stop was Heptapegon. That means Seven Springs. (Right - the famous mosaic at Tabgha celebrating the miracle of the loaves and fishes). We ate lunch there before going inside a crusader church that commemorates the feeding of the multitude with 5 loaves and 2 fishes. It is actually possible that the miracle took place because it was a popular gathering place at the time and in the “wilderness.” There we again saw our Nigerian friends. One woman told me that she would take me to Africa. She called me her little sunshine and something like that. She also asked me if I would come to Africa. I told her that I would someday, but not right now. It was quite amusing. Too bad I didn’t get a picture of her though she got one of me.
From Heptapegon we walked to St. Peter’s Primacy (Left - I am sitting on the steps leading up to the chapel at St. Peter's Primacy). On the way we saw an old Byzantine Church that had been destroyed. That was the old church that used to commemorate the feeding of the multitude. St. Peter’s Primacy is another church. It commemorates the visit of the resurrected Savior to the apostles. It was at that time that the Lord asked, Peter, lovest thou me? While there, we had a lesson by Brother Huntington. That was really interesting. Then we sang inside the church before looking around and taking pictures. While looking around, I heard some people speaking Russian. One man asked me to move aside so he could take a picture, so I asked him where he was from (in Russian). (Right - Capernaum). He was really surprised that I spoke Russian. He is from Moscow and came with a group from his church. He is Seventh Day Adventist. I was able to talk with him a little. That was really nice, just to be able to talkin Russian. I think he really liked meeting an American who spoke Russian because he came up to me later and wanted to take a picture.
Our final stop of the day was Capernaum, the City of Jesus. There they found a first century house that is believed to be Peter’s house. There is good evidence that that is the case. Not only is there an early tradition, but there is evidence that in the first century it was being used as a religious gathering place. The only people who would have been meeting inside a house rather than the synagogue, was Christians. A Byzantine church was built there and later a crusader church. On top of that now is a modern church in the shape of a boat. It was very interesting. Across the street is a synagogue from the same time period. That was very interesting. In the 7th century, something tragic happened that led to the complete abandonment of the city. The Jews used the invaders as cover to burn the Christian church down. 15 years later the Christians retaliated and destroyed the synagogue. Capernaum became known as a place of shame and both Jews and Christians left it. It hasn’t been inhabited since.

No comments: