Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Gala

Today was a crazy day. I woke up this morning with the feeling that something was going to go wrong. I can't put my finger on what, but it was a horrible feeling.
I saw a few horse carts on my way to UACJ.  The first
one was carrying a washer in the back.  It was quite
the site to see, a modern machine in the back of
an antiquated vehicle.
I went to my guitar class this morning, but didn't realize that the semester had ended. They didn't even have the next semester's class schedule ready, so it was basically a wasted trip. Oh well. Then I spent the rest of the morning and into the afternoon just relaxing and slowly getting ready for the night. Around 3:30, Ulises asked me to call him 30 minutes later. That made me feel like my premonition from the morning was going to come true. But I called him around 4:00. Luckily, there was nothing wrong, he just wanted me to pick him up so we could go pick up his suit.
Cupcake stacks
Unfortunately, there were tons of people in the center of town, so we didn't get back to my place until 6:00, which is when we were supposed to be at a friend's house for her birthday party. Tonight was also the Gala (our formal event for the Consulate) which started at 8:00, so we knew we needed to get ready for the Gala before going to the birthday party. As a result, we were an hour late and were only able to stay for about 45 minutes. The party hadn't really started by the time we arrived, or by the time we left, but it was nice to see everyone and I did get a cupcake out of it.
We arrived at the Gala a little late. I picked up one of my work friends because she wanted to be able to drink at the Gala. It was really fun. We had a nice three course meal, then door prizes were drawn (Ulises won a bottle of wine), and then the dance began. It was a little awkward because I hadn't really told many people at the Consulate about Ulises, but at the same time, it is nice to have people know. And hopefully it won't cause any rumors or anything like that. I'm also hoping it will stop this one guy (not an officer, but a local staff member) from hitting on me . . .
Ulises and I
Ulises kept trying to take a picture of me
eating, so I returned the favor.
Main Course
Dessert!
Ulises won this bottle of wine

No comments: