Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Night at the Ballet

I went to the Kennedy Center tonight to see a performance by the Danish Royal Ballet.  It was really good.  At first, I was a little confused.  I read the synopsis of the first act before the lights went dim.  Then I kept trying to figure out the connection between what I had read, and what I was seeing on stage.  I could not make it out.
Some of the cast.  I would have liked to get a shot
with everyone, but I couldn't manage.  Lovely set,
though, right?
During the first intermission, I opened my program once again only to realize that the synopsis I had read was for the weekend (Sat-Sun) performance.  I found the synopsis for tonight's performance, and suddenly it was made all clear!
The ballet was about a mountain girl who had been switched at birth by a troll, who raised her.  There is also a boy, naturally, who is engaged to the changeling (who is temperamental, but then again, she is a troll, right? Though neither she or anyone else knows that).  He meets the mountain girl and they have an instant connection, but she is dragged away by the troll-woman, and elf girls dance around him, leaving him quite mad.
Outside during the second intermission,
very peaceful fountain.
The mountain girl dreams about the switch, and because the troll-woman wants the mountain girl to marry her oldest son, she runs away.  She goes to town where she runs into her love who is now crazy.  Through her dance, she brings him back to his senses, but the police have already been called, and they chase after them all.  She ends up running into the woman from her dream who had been watching over her when she was a baby.  It is discovered that she is the real heiress to the family estate, not the changeling.  The changeling is upset until the troll-woman finds a guy to marry her for gold, and the guy is happy because he has gold.  The real heiress and her now sane love are married as well.
The story itself was interesting, but the sets were magnificent and the costumes were stunning.  I wish I could have taken pictures of it all, but alas, that is not allowed.  I did try to take pictures during the curtain calls, but I only managed to take one before a woman told me they don't allow flash photography.  I said, I'm not using a flash.  Then she said they don't allow ANY photography.  I don't see why they don't allow photography during the curtain calls (aka, AFTER the performance is over) when it can't be considered disruptive, and I couldn't find a photography policy on the Kennedy Center's website.  It makes me wonder if the woman just changed it to ANY photography because she didn't want to look like an idiot.

No comments: