Saturday, May 7, 2011

Bienvenid@s a Nicaragua!

Ya que estoy en Nicaragua por un viaje de inmersión, voy a tratar de usar solamente español . . . Entonces, tengo que escribir en español también.
Ok, maybe that's taking the whole immersion a little far since most of you probably don't speak Spanish.
Welcome sign at the airport

So here I am . . . at my hotel in Managua.  It is very pretty, well at least parts of it are.  It was very interesting to look out the taxi window on my way here.  I saw people on horse-drawn carts.  I asked the taxi driver about it, and he told me they are used to transport goods.  There is a public transportation system here, but it is rather old, so it is more common for people to use taxis.
The courtyard at my hotel
I was sad to see a man with stubs for arms and legs being driven in a cart on the back of a bike by a boy, who I assume was his son.  I saw a lot of graffiti, some run down parts, and then some very beautiful parts.  It is quite a difference to look at the view of the courtyard from my hotel compared to what I saw on the short ride here.
Oh, and people cross the street without any fear!  I should have asked the taxi driver if a lot of people get hit by cars, because it doesn't seem possible that people could cross like that without getting hit!  But maybe people don't get hit because its more of a hassle for the driver.  Who knows.

1 comment:

heatherdawn said...

wow! Que bonita! Buenos suerte y necessitas tener mucho divertido! lol ok so my spanish needs work, So happy to know you made it safely! Have fun and enjoy your immersion!!!