Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Confrontation

So, I haven't written about anything to do with the following in a long time. That is partly because it is deeply personal and also partly because I like to pretend that it isn't happening when I can. But, after today, I feel like I need some kind of outlet. I will try to give a brief synopsis of the situation up to this date, and then explain what happened today.
First, if you remember, my dad remarried over a year ago. He married a woman who has since caused untold havoc in my life. She is rude and inconsiderate, manipulative, emotionally and verbally abusive, and she particularly likes to say bad things about my mom. She was born on September 18th, which is the day that my mother died. She likes to make jokes about that, but the most hurtful thing she said that she was "grateful" for my mom's "sacrifice in dieing" and that she just "knew something good" would happen on her birthday that year.
Other than that, she likes to yell at my sister for silly little things, like leaving a cupboard door open (even if she wasn't the one to open that cupboard). But, to make a really long story short, the situation has been pretty bad for my sister. She's been trying to avoid confrontation, hoping for it to get better, but it hasn't and in some ways has gotten worse.
Today it became even worse when my sister decided to stand up for herself. My dad's wife demanded that Lizzy clean up her room immediately. When Elizabeth refused, she, I guess you could say, freaked out and went off on a power trip. My sister told her that she wasn't going to put up with her abuse anymore. My dad's wife followed Lizzy into her room and stood there blocking the door. She stood in her room for 3 hours, refusing to leave until my sister cleaned her room. Elizabeth told her that she would clean her room as soon as my dad's wife left the room, but the wife refused. She said, "I don't make compromises." My sister called me for help. I, being so far away, didn't really know what to do. The wife refused to talk to me, calling me "childish" (wow, and yet she was acting the way that she was?). So, I talked to her through Elizabeth (I really felt childish doing that, but it wasn't what I wanted). All she would say is that SHE is the boss, she is in charge around there, that she didn't make compromises and if my sister couldn't deal with that, then she would have to leave.
Well, I'm sorry, but it is CHILDREN who refuse to make compromises in a conflict situation, or very immature people who think that refusing to make compromises make you look weak. She said that what she wanted was for Lizzy to clean her room, but when she was given that option, she refused. That tells me that what she REALLY wants, is to dominate. She wants to exercise unrighteous dominion. Either that, or she really just wants to get Elizabeth out of the house and make sure that we (all my sisters) are no longer a part of my dad's life. But, I've kind of felt like she was trying to drive a wedge for a long time.
So how did the problem get resolved, you ask? Well, I called my dad while Lizzy called someone from church for some help. That person suggested a compromise that we hadn't thought of: Lizzy would strip down the bed while the wife was in the room, then the wife would leave (by the way, I've always referred to her by her name before this, I just don't want that kind of association on my blog right now, plus, I'd prefer not to use names except for my sister, since I've mentioned her time and time again) and Elizabeth would finish cleaning the room. She, again, refused to compromise. By the way, we asked her to be civilized and she also said that she doesn't make compromises. Being civilized is a compromise?
Elizabeth used the excuse of taking the laundry down, and escaped her room. In the meantime, I called my dad. I told him what was going on, but he was on a conference call, so he couldn't really talk. He said he would figure it out when he was done with his call, which he said should be soon after. Well, a while later, he got home. He and the wife left for lunch. On the way out, the wife said that she expected the room to be clean by the time she got back.
That was my dad's solution to the problem. Maybe he talked to her over lunch, but I feel like nothing was resolved. Maybe the resolution will still come, but I wonder if there is a resolution to this situation. The wife obviously refuses to be a civilized person and respect us just because we are her husband's children, if nothing else, and she also refuses to compromise, but without a compromise, she is just being a b***h. (Sorry, I don't like to swear, but I can't think of another word that adequately describes how she is acting, PLUS she used the word to describe herself, so for me that makes it fair game). Plus, I don't see my dad ever standing up for any of us if that means disagreeing with his wife. Its funny because he didn't use to be that way . . . But, its like he is afraid to disagree. I'm not saying he has to always take our side (that would be just as wrong as never taking our side), but allowing his wife to verbally and emotionally abuse his daughters is not acceptable.
The only solution I can come up with, is for Lizzy to move out. I just don't know where she can go, especially since other family members have demonstrated their unwillingness to let her stay with them, and I can't afford to pay for her living expenses. If I had a real job, I would let her stay with me until she found a job, but I can't afford it...
Anyway, I'm sorry to unload all this on you, but I already talked about it with my friends and was still frustrated at the lack of a resolution. I hate being down here. Of course, I probably would have punched her if I was up there, and that wouldn't have been good, but I hate feeling helpless...

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hey Rachel!! Oh my gosh. I just read your blog and I am in shock. I mean, I remember you telling me certain things but I didn't know it had escalated to this extreme level. I wish I had something perfect and profound to say to make you feel hopeful and just better in general but I really don't, other than Heavenly Father is there for you and share the burden with him completely. There was a story I heard once where a father asked the son to push the huge rock out of the road. The son pushed and pushed but the rock didn't budge. Then the father asked, "Did you use all your strength?" and the son answered, "yes." The father replied, "No you didn't. You didn't ask for my help."
I know you are strong and I know you know to rely on the Lord but just remember we are never asked to endure anything we can't handle, but more importantly, to endure it alone. I just wanted you to know that I read your blog, you were heard. Sometimes it just feels so much better to be heard. But you can't be heard unless you say something, so make sure you talk to Heavenly Father and you'll be heard. You're so great Rachel. I am sorry about all of this and I hope a solution is found as soon as possible. Keep your chin up and don't let her get to you; that's what she wants. So stick it to her and keep on truckin' along.

rayecheal said...

Thanks Heather, I appreciate it. It is just hard because I can't do anything to change the situation, which is where God comes in, I know, but I don't like being helpless.