So, I felt really prepared for the final this morning. After the final, I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I had talked with a couple of other girls about going to
From there, we decided to do some exploring. We headed down the Kidron Valley toward Hell. Now before you think that I am swearing, I will explain what Hell is. Have you ever wondered where the name for the spiritual term came from? Well, it is a real place. In Greek it is called Gehenna. Hell is the place where, in ancient times, Israel sacrificed children to the god of Molech by passing them through the fires of Molech. It was also a place
As we walked along the Kidron Valley, we stopped to see some tombs that traditionally belong to Absalom, son of King David, and Zechariah. Then we continued on. It is too bad that there is no sign pointing to Hell, but we did arrive. We then headed up to a Greek Monastery dedicated to this crazy Egyptian hermit who lived in the caves south of the City of David. There he wore no clothing, but because of an extremely long beard, he was slightly covered. It was closed, so we couldn't go in.
We continued on our journey and passed an active archaeological dig. We took pictures until one of the workers beckoned us over. We went over, not sure what to expect. A different worker came and explained what they had found and what they
Next we were walking and saw a sign that said, "to Schindler's grave." We figured that we might as well check it out. We went up to the gate only to see that a man was closing it. We were too late! But no, Mindy asked if it would be alright if we went to the grave. He let us in. We got really lucky. It was cool.
Next we went into the Old City. There Mindy and Shealee went into the Armenian Museum while Rich, Christine, and I waited outside (we'd already seen the Museum). After they finished, we went over to the Dormition Abbey. That was really cool. Next we went to the Armenian Church in the Armenian Quarter of the Old City. I'd already been there, but I didn't mind going again.
Dinner tonight was our Seder feast, in celebration of the Passover. Passover starts this coming Saturday and it would have been cool to have our feast at the same time, but then our Jewish professor would not have been able to come and explain everything to us. It was really cool. Everyone participated in one way or another, whether by serving/clearing dishes, reading narrations, or singing songs. It was really cool and a lot of fun. Now I've celebrated both Ramadan AND Passover!
No comments:
Post a Comment