Saturday, August 6, 2011

I'm Here!

I made it.  I am now at my cousin's house in West Valley City.  It was a long flight from Phoenix.  Well, not necessarily time wise, but it felt long.  That may have been because I was unfortunate enough to be seated next to a couple guys who spent the first 5 minutes making fun of Mormons.  Now I don't like it when people make fun of anyone.  In fact, the first time I saw Never Been Kissed, not only was I appalled at the egging scene, I was even more appalled that so many people who were watching the movie with me laughed!  And that wasn't even a real person!
My cousin's house
Anyway, it started off with the usual uneducated joke about 3 wives.  I kind of ended it by saying, You know Mormons don't actually practice polygamy, right?  The guy farther away from me agreed and defended them a little, but the guy sitting next to me, a University of Utah student (though he's at least in his late 30s if not early 40s) kept going at it.  You know, not everyone has to like everyone else, but at least show some respect, especially when you are living amongst the largest population of that group of people.  I mean, would you go to India and make fun of the Indians?  I'm sure there are people who would do just that, but it bugs me no matter where that bigotry takes place.
So, I did some Sudoku until I could turn on my laptop and plug in my earphones.  To their credit, the majority of the conversation did not revolve around bashing Mormons, and it was really more on the part of the guy sitting next to me.
My cousin was waiting when I got out of the airport and we drove straight here.  They have a huge house, much bigger than my house.  But they have 2 kids, so they need the space whereas I don't.
Goodnight!

No comments: