I don't know if you can tell from the title, but I went to Jericho today. We had a half-day field

trip. We went to the New Testament Jericho site, first.
(Right - In the background, just above the green are the remains of Herod's palace in the area that was called Jericho during the time of Jesus Christ. By the way, ignore me in the pictures since I am sick). There we saw the remains of one of Herod's palaces. We also saw a goatherd. Do you know what the difference is between a goatherd and a goat herder? Or a shepherd and a sheep herder? With the goatherd and the shepherd, the goats and sheep follow. It was really quite interesting. This kid was sitting on a donkey and just riding up front a

nd all the goats followed along behind. It was very cool.
(Left - the lonely goatherd leading his animals on his donkey).Next we went to the Old Testament Jericho site. There we saw some walls (though not the walls that Joshua helped crumble to the ground - they haven't found those walls yet). The best part was reenacting the battle of Jericho. We saw Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho (I'm still sick, so I didn't really sing along) while one person blew a ram's horn and we all marched in a circle. It was fun.
After spending some time

there and listening to the story of Jericho where it actually happened, we went to the Quruntul Monastery.
(Right - At the Old Testament site of Jericho. The walls you see in the back and to the right are the walls from the early Bronze Age. This is before the time of Joshua. Also visible if you look to the left, are the Middle Bronze Age walls which are also before Joshua's time. They haven't found any Late Bronze Age, Joshua's time, walls here). inside which traditionally is the rock the Savior was tempted to turn into bread. We lea

rned a little of monasticism there, too. It is actually a really nice monastery.
(Left - blowing the ram's horn). If I didn't have to be a monkIt is a Greek Orthodox monastery nearby on the side of the mountain. It was quite a hike for a sick person, but I made it without falling off the side, so that is good. This monastery commemorates Christ's temptations in the wilderness. There is a rock to live there, I think it would be

pretty cool. Right now only about 2 or 3 individuals live in that monastery.
That was the last stop of out field trip.
(Right - sign for the Quruntul Monastery with the Monastery on the mountain in the background). We came back to the center and after eating a quick lunch, I went to sleep. That was nice. I am feeling better than yesterday, though, so that is good. I hope that tomorrow will be even better. Tomorrow we just have two classes and then a free day. A few people are going to Tel Aviv, but I am going to stay here and sleep . . . and maybe get some Egypt blogged.
The traditional rock of temptation

Inside the Monastery

1 comment:
Love the horn picture!!!!
hahahahha
I'm so glad you are having an awesome time!!
Be safe though! Haha
Post a Comment