We went on another field trip today. I'm still gett

ing over my cold, so I was a little worried about it, but it turned out really well.
(Left - Tel Bet Shemesh). where an ancient fortress guarding the Sorek ValleyWe basically toured the valleys of the Shephelah, the hill country. There are 5 valleys, Aijalon, Sorek, Elah, Guvrin, and Lachish. We didn't actually go to Aijalon, but we went to the other 4. We began our trip at Tel Bet Shemesh, was. That was pretty interesting. Bet Shemesh is also the city where the ark was returned to after the Philistines

captured it. Next we went to Azekah, a fortress city in the Valley of Elah.
(Right - Tel Bet Shemesh). The Valley of Elah is where David fought Goliath. We reenacted that famous battle in the valley below. Next was a place called Mareshah in the Guvrin Valley. There were a lot of interesting things there. We saw a Dove Cote. That is a place where people kept and raised Doves. It was underground. There was also a mansion built on top of a huge cistern. I can't imagine one family having a cistern that big to itself! We saw a family burial. Inside of that is a picture of a three-headed dog. It was very interesting. Finally at Mareshah, we saw the Bell Caves. I guess there is one place inside there where a Rambo movie was filmed.

That is just what I was told, anyway.
Our next stop was Tel Lachish. That was really interesting.
(Left - The Valley of Elah). We saw the siege ramp built by Sennacherib when he took the city. We also saw the palace complex. It was huge. Our final stop for the day was Micah's cave. It is a huge complex of caves built to hold doves and also as a place for secret rituals. That means that the entrance was very tiny and so were the passageways. It was very fun to explore, though. I didn't have a flashlight, so I stuck with people who did. We all were filthy by the time we were done, but we had fun. That is one of the reasons why I am surprised I did so well. With all that climbing in and out and around and wherever, I'm surprised I wasn't completely wiped out by the time we got back to the center.
Behind me between the trees is the city of Gath, home of Goliath

Slinging in the Valley of Elah

Dove Cote

Funny sign at Mereshah

Three-headed Dog in the family tomb at Mereshah

Inside the family tomb at Mereshah

Tel Lachish

Entrance to Micah's Cave

P.S. I finished typing my entries for Egypt, I just have to add pictures, which of course takes a long time. I did post one entry already, and I finished adding the pictures of the JC. I hope that is enough.
5 comments:
Thank you for the pictures. It looks like parts of the building are much different than when I was there. The computer lab (I assume it's still at the end of the hall where the classrooms are) looks much different, and the door at the right of your photo was not there. The Student Lounge is not the same. Our Student Lounge was just a small room right across from the gym (no stairs - and not as open as your picture shows). No doubt there are other changes as well. It's hard to picture it any other way than when I was there. I have also found photos of outside (on the web) of all the trees, plants, etc. at the front entrance, that sure make it look nice. I don't recall all of that. Things grow in 18 years!
We would walk up the road (entry to the Center) over to the Hebrew U. and climb a fence to get to the Hebrew U. student store. This was a pain, but we usually found a better way to return. Also we would walk down a tunnel to catch the busses (public - I hear you can't ride them anymore). From Google Earth it shows a major road above the Center running through a tunnel in the mountain. This was not there 18 years ago.
I've read you can't be in East Jerusalem (the Old City) after the sun goes down. I guess that is for the best, but I have many fun memories of walking the Old City at night. All the shops are closed, and almost no people. The roads inside the Old City are all mosty empty. They water down (clean) the streets at night. I LOVED the night lights in and around the Old City. I would spend an hour sometimes just sitting outside and looking at the Old City at night. We would walk to the Western Wall to see the welcoming in of the Sabbath, and then walk back. It reminds me of Nephi creeping into the City at night with his brothers outside the walls. Do read First Nephi while you are there, it will mean so much more to you.
After 18 years, I finally have the money to take my wife to Jerusalem!!! So in a few years (when our 2 year old is a little older), we plan to go. The main thing I want to see is the Center, but I am worried "they" (whoever is running things) won't let me have a "good" look at ALL the building. When I was there you had to have a student with you to go anywhere other than the top (8th) level. I assume it is the same today? Do you know if those coming for Church can have access to the building, without having to have a student escort? I don't want to spend $8000 dollars to come and not be able to show my wife where I lived for four months! I am hope that if I come for church I will be able to show my wife around without having to have an escort. Any ideas? Do you know if they would let us eat at the Center. I recall many Church members having dinner with us after church.
It sounds like quite a few students got sick in or before Egypt ( I've been reading yours and a few other students blogs - your blog is the best by the way! and thank you for taking the time to reply to me and again for the pictures). I got sick the last night in Cairo, and spent the night throwing up in my room, while the others got treated to a dinner and belly dancing! ah the memories!
wow... that pic of cairo from the bus,,,holy hannah rachel!! I have to go there, i must.... wow o wow , it's just amazing, you are so blessed, oh my heck.. seriously! love you! awesome posts btw, tyl!
wow o wow.... seeing cairo, in the pic from the bus, i have to go there, i must!!!You are so blessed to be having all of these experiences rachel, really, you are!!! I miss yiou, hate you and love you, lol ;) (jk, on th h8) anyway i love the blogging, stellar job, keep it up, miss you!!!!! have fun, bestest best friend #1, hd
oops, sorry about that posting crap, i am sooooo not good at this.... i always post like a million times, sorry!!!! hd
Yeah, it sounds like a lot of things have changed in the past several years. We aren't allowed into the East Jerusalem after dark for security purposes. We also aren't allowed in East Jerusalem on Fridays during the Muslim Sabbath.
I'm not sure what the policy is on visitors. There have been a few people who have stayed with the service couples who live here, but other than that I really don't know. You can eat at the Oasis, they have prices listed on the wall per meal, so I assume that others can eat there.
There was a belly dancing competition on our overnight train to Cairo, but we weren't allowed to go there. That would have been fun to see, though. I think a lot of people have colds, luckily not too many people were sick from eating the food (I can't think of anyone who got sick from the food) so that is good.
HD - I hope you do make it here some day! That would be so awesome. By the way, I finished all my Egypt posts, so check those out!
Post a Comment