Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Dia de los Muertos

Michael Jackson altar
At work today we had a Dia de los Muertos altar competition.  I didn't really participate, but some of my colleagues built an altar to Michael Jackson on behalf of our section.  I was definitely impressed with how the altar turned out.  According to the FSNs, there are three most important elements in an altar.  Light, salt, and sound.  All of those things welcome the spirits back to earth.  There are lots of other elements that are incorporated into altars, but those are the three basic elements that all altars must have.
The FSNs built an elaborate altar for Frida Kahlo, with a presentation and everything.  It was great.  There were a few other altars, but I didn't actually get around to seeing those.  It was interesting to be part of this aspect of Mexican culture.
Salt and light.  We also had an Ipod with Michael Jackson
music for the third element of sound.
Frida Kahlo's altar

No comments: