Monday, July 5, 2010

Birthday Fun

I had a great birthday this year, I must say. I began the day by traveling with a couple friends (Becky and Karla) to Theodore Roosevelt National Park in the western part of North Dakota (near the Montana border). We went to go hiking. The weather was beautiful, not too hot, but still sunny. We hiked the back country, so there wasn't really a trail. We also had to wade across the Little Missouri River. It was great! We headed back after a few hours because we saw storm clouds coming in and didn't want to cross back over the river in a rain/thunder storm.
After finishing our hike, we got ice cream in Medora. Ice cream is great no matter what the occasion.
Then we headed back to Bismarck. When I got back, I met up with another friend, Colette, and she took me shooting. I shot a shotgun for the first time. We used a 12 gauge automatic shotgun and shot skeet. I must say that I really sucked, but I was happy to hit a couple, especially considering it was my first time. Colette did a lot better than me, but considering how long she's been shooting, that's not a surprise.
After shooting, we came back to my place for my birthday dinner: BBQ! That is my favorite. Unfortunately, I don't have a grill, so I used my griddle instead. It was yummy. My sister, Elizabeth, spent time while I was gone to make the sides: a cherry version of Clarence's salad and potato salad. In addition to that and the main dishes of hotdogs (all beef of course) and hamburgers, we had olives, green beans, and baked beans. It was a good meal, and I found myself getting full quickly. For dessert we had home-made pistachio ice cream. Yum!
But besides all that, it was nice to have so many people remember my birthday, so thanks to everyone who did!

No comments: