Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I have FINALLY arrived!

Well, if you hadn’t already figured it out, I am in JERUSALEM!!!! I am so excited and I can’t really believe that this has finally happened. It is a dream, come true. The flight from Vienna to Tel Aviv wasn’t too long (Left - A view of Tel Aviv from the air as we were landing). I slept a little but the meal wasn’t as good as on the flight to Vienna. One thing that was interesting, I was surprised out how many Russians I have already come in contact with (in the form of eavesdropping). Not counting the Ukrainian woman I met in Chicago, while waiting to board in Vienna, I heard several people conversing in Russian, and then again when we arrived in Tel Aviv. I wanted to start talking with them, but then they would have realized that I was eavesdropping. It was really nice, though. I haven’t heard that much Russian in a long time.
Arriving in Tel Aviv was exciting. I had a window
seat on the flight (though just behind the wing so it could have been better), and I took pictures as we took off and as we landed. I don’t think it has all really sunk in yet. Even as we went through customs, got our passports stamped, and went to meet our welcome party. That was my first time ever being greeted at an airport by a sign (Right - Derek Ostler holding our welcoming sign). It was very fun. We had our names checked off a list and then waited for everyone else to get through customs (See left - waiting in the Tel Aviv airport). There were a few girls who were stopped and interrogated. Sounds like they had an interesting experience, but I had no problems.
Finally we were able to get on the bus after loading our suitcases (Right - On the bus ready to go to Jerusalem). Then we headed out of the airport and on to the road to Jerusalem (Below - Brother Ostler as our tour guide on the ride to Jerusalem). I sat by the window and looked out, taking pictures and trying to take in as much as I could. It is only about an hour drive from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Along the way, we heard a few stories of things that we were seeing. I guess in the 40s when there was a major conflict in Israel, between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem armored cars were sent, and often blown up. Bombed shells of these armored cars still remain on the side of the road as a sort of monument (See right). We also heard about a place called Modiin (I don’t know how to spell that) where the Maccabees are from. I’m sure I will see it better later.
As we pulled up to t
he Jerusalem Center, I was amazed at the beauty. We have the best view here from the Jerusalem Center and the building is amazing. The architecture has won awards and everything is still the original from when it was built so long ago. Some of the boys unloaded the luggage while we went into the Oasis (the cafeteria) to wait for dinner. We had to wait quite a while, so we went out on the balcony to see the view of the city. We can see the Dome of the Rock very well, and much of Old Jerusalem (See left - the picture is kind of dark, but I hope you can see the Dome of the Rock). One thing that is interesting, President Bush flew into Israel today, but I know that wherever he is staying, we have the better view. I tried to take pictures, but it was already dark and I couldn’t hold the camera still enough. What an amazing day today has been, and it is only the first among several.
After dinner, we had another orientation meeting (Right - my first meal in the Jerusalem Center. It was very interesting. The rice and chicken were good, but there was a potato salad made of sweet potatoes in teriyaki sauce. That was interesting). We met some of the staff, and our professors. We also had short meetings with two of our professors before taking a tour of the center. It really is amazing here. The apartments are small, but nice, and the front entrance looks amazing. We have a balcony that looks out on Old Jerusalem and the view is only rivaled from the top floor of the center. Our orientation meeting was held in the auditorium, which is also where we meet for church. The seats face Old Jerusalem and behind the podium are huge glass walls that leave us with the best view in the world.
(Left - most of our luggage. Some of it was hidden from camera view).

Tomorrow, we have a long, but quick walking tour of Jerusalem in the morning. After lunch we have another orientation meeting, and I guess we have some free time before a concert that night. I’m sure it will be an exciting day, too. The first day of classes is Friday, but we only have two before we go on another tour. S
aturday we have church meetings! That will definitely be interesting. I’ll write more later, though I doubt I will have time to blog every day, especially since we don’t have internet access in our apartments. Anyway, so far I am having a GREAT time, and I am so pumped full of adrenaline that I can’t sleep even though it is almost midnight here. But I’m sure if I actually let me body rest, I will fall fast asleep. Oh, one more thing, I guess it is possible that we will be woken up at 5 in the morning by the Muslim’s first call to prayer. I think that would actually be an interesting way to wake up in the morning. We will see what happens.

No comments: