Wednesday, September 6, 2006

thanks!

Dear family,
Well, I don’t know exactly what to say this week. I can’t believe how fast time is going right now but at the same time how slowly. My companion goes home in a month, exactly a month. She is great because that isn’t keeping her from working like it has with many, but it is insane to think about it because when we started serving together she had as much time as I will have when she goes home. So, if this is how quickly the last month and a half has gone, I don’t want to know how fast it will go when she goes home, especially if what I think is going to happen actually happens. But, who knows.
First things first, thanks to everyone who wrote me this week. But Sara, I thought you had learned better. That was a pitiful email. It probably only took two seconds to write that phrase and send it off. Really, if that’s all the time you are willing to give me, its probably not worth the bother.
(Picture to the left - the first day of school. I thought it might be interesting for you to see this)
Mom, thanks for ordering the Liahona, just let me know when the first issue gets there so I know where it starts. Also, thanks for ordering those stickers. I really appreciate it. I hope it wasn’t too expensive. It seems to me, mom, that I learn more from you about Sara than I do from Sara . . . I hope you are still having them write me letters when they don’t send an email because I need more information than that. By the way, how many missionaries do we have from the ward now? It seems to me that everyone has either gone on a mission or gotten married while I’ve been on my mission. There won’t be anyone left when I get home! (That’s not a bad thing, it will just be weird).
Dad, that’s great that you got your software running and that you have names ready for the temple. That must be really exciting. As a reminder, please don’t forget about my website. I know it takes time, but its really important to me that people can read my emails if they feel so inclined. Also, I’m glad to hear that Clarence Armstrong is feeling better.
Elizabeth, I got your letter this week. I have to admit it was pretty funny. I showed it to my companion and she laughed, too. Thanks for finding something funny that happened to share. That’s what it takes sometimes to write a good letter.
Ok, as for whether or not it is official that I am coming home the 21st, I don’t know. I heard that President told one of the Elders in my going-home-group that he will have it changed to the 21st, but I didn’t hear that from President himself. So, I don’t know what to tell you about that. (Picture to the right - me and Скоморохова Татьяна (Skomoroxova Tatiana), one of the members that we worked with a lot. She is very old and has cancer, but is a very determined and interesting woman) I would like Becky to be home for Christmas if she can, that would be really cool because I am almost positive that it will work out that I am going to be home before Christmas, but at the same time, I would want Becky to be there for my home-coming talk and I don’t know if that would even be that first Sunday when I get home or some later one. I will probably be able to find out soon, though. At least by the 21st of September (I hope that would be enough time to buy tickets if you need to) because the APs are both in my group and they have close contact with the president. Other than that, I will try to find out before then but it would probably be good if you could find out from Becky how long she will be able to take off. If she could be home for two Sundays, (Christmas Eve and New Years Eve) that would probably be the best bet. That way she could be there for Christmas AND for my homecoming talk if they don’t happen to coincide. If she won’t be able to do that, maybe it would be better to wait until I find out for sure and then I will let you know. If it will be the 21st you will probably need to talk to the Bishop so I could talk that following Sunday so Becky could be home for both.
But, anyway, that’s a lot to worry about. I hate to say it, but I’m glad I don’t have to worry about that.
Ok, now for this past week. There have been a few great things and a few funny ones. I’ll get to the funny ones first. I didn’t mention this before, we have an investigator who has a 6 year old daughter and a 4 or 5 year old son. This son is named Саша (Sasha) (from Alexander). (See picture to the left - the father {I don't remember his name}, Sister Silva, Лена (Lena), Аня (Anya), and in front Саша, and Катя (Katya)) I don’t know if this is still that way, but when I first saw him, he confused me with someone else . . . with a someone else whom he just happens to be a little obsessed with (as in the sister who used to serve here with my current companion). So, the first thing he does is gives me a huge hug. That’s not so bad except he didn’t want to let go. That time, there didn’t really end up being anything else except him asking if I cut my hair and then saying that he didn’t even recognize me. Then the next time . . . that was a little creepy. I guess he used to do this to that other sister, too, and it made her uncomfortable too, but again he hugged me and didn’t want to let go. I was sitting on the couch (often times their “couches” are also beds) and he tried pushing me over. I didn’t really know what was going on so I didn’t resist and he ended up lying on top of me, and just kept laying there. (now, you gotta remember that he is around 5 years old so its not soo bad except that it LOOKS really bad). When I realized what had happened and that he was planning on staying there, I pushed him off and sat up. Then, after awhile, he tried it again! This time I resisted, but he kept on pushing. He left and soon came back to try again! This time I was a little annoyed that he kept trying and wouldn’t give up, so I pushed him to the side, but doing that I ended up giving way. This time I found myself lying down (at least he wasn’t on top of me) and he put his head on my shoulder and just laid there. It was the strangest experience of my life. I really think that kid is just a little too obsessed with this other sister. Poor girl. Poor kid, too. I think there has to be some kind of lack, and maybe it is a lack of connection with his mother or something, I don’t really know, but it is a little scary.
Another funny thing, we were talking to this boy on the street, inviting him to English. We noticed that he was abnormally silent and my companion thought that maybe he was a mute. When we finished inviting him, he opened his mouth and immediately a bunch of spit came out. He had tried to say thank you, then he spit to the side, and continued on. It was really funny. That is probably the one and only time that will happen in my life. It turned out that he had just been to the dentist. Poor kid, I hope he wasn’t too embarrassed to come to English class.
So, as for the good things, I don’t have a lot of time left to write so I’ll be brief. We fasted together as a district to help the work along and we are already starting to see some blessings from that. For example, we met with one lady last night who is very active, intelligent and sincere. She wants to come to church and really enjoyed the movie, The Lamb of God. She has read all the literature she’s been given and even had questions. We gave her a Book of Mormon and she promised to read and pray. She is sincere and that means that she will get an answer. I’m really excited about that. We have a few other people who want us to come and talk with them to make up for the others that have pretty much dropped us. So, it all works out in the end. We are still praying for everyone of course, but we have gotten to the point where we know that we have done all that we can to help them. Now, it is up to them to make the decision to accept it, or at least to let us come and meet with them again.
(Picture to the right - Энгельс (Engels) Relief Society)
Well, I guess that is about it. My time is up. I love you all, keep writing. Don’t let the time countdown, and I hope it ISN’T going to lull you into thinking that you don’t have to write. In this, just like in life, you have to endure to the end for all your hard work to matter. That is, keep on writing and there will be a gift at the end of the journey. Ok, it won’t be so great as eternal life, but I think Russian тапочки (tapochki) is good enough. By the way, no one answered me about that whether or not you would wear them if I bought them. Basically they would take the place of shoes in the house. You could go barefoot if you wanted, but if you didn’t want to, then the тапочки help to keep the floor cleaner longer. Let me know about that because I will probably want to buy them soon.

Love,
Сестра Атвуд

No comments: