Wednesday, July 26, 2006

This last week has been crazy! I don't even know what to write about it. But, I guess I have to start somewhere. So, anyway, last Wednesday we had sports in the evening, but only we were there. (Picture to the left - at Papa John's in Саратов (Saratov) - we often went there for lunch and this week they had a huge stuffed animal. We just had to get a picture with it) The other Elders in our district were all out of town for one reason or another, so, it just so happens that we ended up playing soccer with a bunch of little boys. That was alright until some older boys started coming. Then, we had to leave because they were using foul language and trying to flirt. But, we ended up having a good little lesson on the street with one of our inactive girls who happened to come to sports. (Picture to the right - service at the local children's hospital. This was our first time doing service there and they had us trim the bushes) I had to use one of the scriptures I have memorized, it was pretty cool. She also came to church on Sunday and that was the first time in a long time. We also had a really good discussion with some бабушки (babushki) on the street. We were going to see one lady that we haven't seen in awhile and they told us that we shouldn't waste our time , that she's a hooligan and is always drunk. So, we talked with them about how they need to love everyone. It was great. We invited them all to church, and in the end, more and more kept coming to talk to us on the street. It was really fun.
We've been working really hard. It is so nice to have work! I love this area because we have so much to do, and I feel like we are working as a team, as in all the missionaries in Энгельс (Engels) are working as a team. That is a good feeling, too. We have some good investigators who are progressing and who love to see us, and more than that, we even have less actives who are happy to see us and who WANT to come to church! Its nice. (These two pictures were taken while the church was being cleaned and we weren't allowed to go inside. We had English club and had to have it on the street. First picture - me, Sister Silva, and Оксана (Aksana), the second is me, Настя (Nastya), and Оксана) We are also trying to work on having more of a presence here so that people see us and know who we are and know that we are good people. Its hard work because that means we have to talk to everyone, and not just about the gospel, but just have meaningful conversations to build relationships of trust. I think it will be good, but it will be hard.
We had some interesting experiences. A lot of people here just come up to us on the street (usually they are men or boys) to find out what we are doing. Its a little awkward when they don't want to talk about the gospel. I'm really surprised how often that happens. Sister Silva tells me that she is really glad to be serving with me because we can find joy in the work together. We really do both love this work and its SOOO nice to be able to focus all my energy on the work! This is the first time when I can do what I've wanted to do all along . . . not talk about home or things unrelated to the work, but we are always talking about spiritual things and even when we are talking about things before the mission, there is a spiritual element to our discussion. It is great, and liberating, I guess you could say.
Oh, we had a really good day the other day. Nothing worked out . . . I know that must sound weird, but the thing is, nothing worked out the way WE planned, but everything worked out the way it was supposed to. For example, we were supposed to have a meeting with our investigator who left on Sunday for Greece (her mother lives there and is dieing of cancer so she went to be with her for a month) but she sent a message saying she couldn't make it. So we went somewhere else to begin with. When we arrived, the girl was home (it is really hard to catch her) but better than that, her friend was there! And her friend wanted to sit with us and told us that she wants to come to church. She didn't come, but I know we were supposed to meet her. Then, pretty much everything else worked out that way, too. We were sent exactly where we needed to go or were inspired to call the people we needed to call. It was great.
On Monday, my new district celebrated my birthday . . . again. My companion made brownies (trying to do it sneakily) but I saw, of course. (Picture to the right - I am blowing out my candles. I really am older than 6 years of age, but that was all the candles we had) I had no idea what it was for, though. Then the Elders came. We had lunch together and afterwards they surprised me by singing happy birthday to me and we ate brownies with root beer floats. It was really cool because I didn't expect to have anything else for my birthday.
By the way, thanks mom and dad for writing me. I guess Becky didn't resend her email. She probably doesn't have the right address. Oh well, that happens. But why didn't Lizzy and Sara write?
We are having conference tomorrow, so it is possible that I will be getting some mail, I'm hoping for that at least.
(Picture to the left - that night, we had Family Home Evening with a family in the branch. They have a pet rabbit (or is it a hare?) and they always want the missionaries to take pictures with it, so here I am) Well, that's probably about it, my time is almost up. I love you all and I love this people and I LOVE this work! It really is the greatest work in the world, even if they keep changing things to make it even more difficult. It is worth it to see the change for the better that it brings to people's lives!
Also, Ани Саргсян (Ani Sargsyan) said hi from her and her family.
Love,

Сестра Атвуд

No comments: